20 June 2010

Weekly Update 06.20.10


The next Top Chef Master.

Long couple of weeks, folks. I was gone for a week on a business trip, then got back with a few days to catch my breath before heading to Wichita to help with a wedding. So no update from last week, instead here are a few highlights to catch you up:
  • Laramie is in a valley, between two mountain ranges. Gorgeous. And um, cold - it was raining and the daytime high temps hovered around 45 degrees. While a wee bit too chilly for the summer for my tastes, I must say it was still preferable to the Kansas heat and humidity.


  • Coal Creek Coffee in Laramie makes a mean cappuccino. And latte. And mocha bianca. And the baristas are truly gifted - the pretty decorations they made with the foam were still visible after I FINISHED my coffee. Uh, sold.


  • We are cursed with bad refrigerators. Ours died, the evening after Peter's birthday party. Not terribly shocking, it wasn't the newest fridge by a long shot. We had it serviced last year and knew that a new fridge would need to be bought in the next two or three years. Thankfully we still have the deep freezer in the basement and a (also ancient) mini fridge down there as well, so we can kinda sorta make it. In a "this is super awkward and not fun and let's hurry up with that new fridge, delivery place" kind of way.


  • We bought a brand-spanking new LG with a bottom freezer. Almost fridge-less for two weeks and finally it's delivered. And... it only blows hot air. Niiiiiice. It is being picked up on Wednesday and, fingers crossed, our new one will also be on that truck. On the bright side: after fiddling with the bottom freezer for the past few days, I've decided it is overrated and we went back and ordered a side-by-side this time. It was much more expensive but - given our issues with the first fridge, Nebraska Furniture Mart gave us a substantial discount on this one so the price was not much more. Score!



  • The new-yet-useless fridge.


  • Speaking of meals out: our son has developed a Thing for waitresses. Maybe because they coo at him and bring him milk and his most favorite thing in the world (i.e. food), I can't be sure on the reason but I can say that - his fawning and cooing back and smiling and oh, but the creeper stare he gives them whenever they are within 12 feet of him and the yelling at them every time they walk past... Yeah. At first endearing, now a little weird.



  • Creeper.

  • Speaking of the child! He is no longer quiet in public. I used to worry as he was just shy and quiet and was content to hang out on my lap with his mouth firmly closed. Now I can't even step into the grocery store without Peter happily yelping and singing his way through the store, at the top of his lungs.


  • And also! He's getting cuter by the day, true story. I love this age, how they learn a few new random things every day. Today, he learned to stay out of the garbage cans (er, hopefully) and also: how to apply hand lotion. He toddled around all day clutching a bottle of my hand lotion, carefully pretend-applying a dime-sized amount to his palm (as well as our own), then we all rub our hands together to incorporate it well. It is important to take care of your skin, yo.



  • He always drags his blanket between his legs, smart guy - less likely to trip up on it that way.


  • Chocolate-covered sour cherry candies are a kinda weird flavor combination of candied treat, not sure why the candy shop I visited ever thought that one up. That didn't stop me from snarfing down so many that I had a slight tummy ache, however.


  • Friday and Saturday were spent in the Wichita area, I headed down early (Thursday night). Helped with the flowers for a friend's wedding, they had calla lilies and hydrangeas so it doesn't get much easier. All turned out pretty darn spiffy, if I do say so myself! The wedding too was just perfect, the bride was beautiful, and everything was gorgeous. So much fun!


  • The bouquets and corsages, done and soaking up some water. Wish I had good pictures of centerpieces and bouts...

  • I, however, was not gorgeous at the wedding - I left my overnight bag in the sister of the groom's car, figured I'd spring it out of valet once we were done prepping flowers. Only: the valet office closed for random hours, so I could never get out there at the right time. Then finally I found someone (half an hour before the wedding), and they had misplaced her keys...


  • The keys were found eventually and all turned out well, so no worries, but I wasn't able to get dressed for the wedding. Now: luckily I was already in a decent sundress and my cute Reef flip flops, but still! No sweet little Banana Republic dress, no cute flats, no makeup or hair properly styled or nice jewelry. So: sorry for looking like total crap at your wedding, Chris and Stephanie! I swear I'm not a meth head.




  • Look how pretty I am! And that was before I was really booking it and working on centerpieces, sweating like a hog. Ugh.


  • Father's Day - another post to come for that one. The day included donuts, Yard House, and shopping for (our soon-to-be) new fridge. Fun times!



  • My devilishly handsome men.


  • I am sooooooo looking forward to some time to relax, stay home, maybe clean my house and get some rest. At least until the weekend...

No comments: