15 November 2009

Weekly Update 11.15.09

Does last week Sunday count as part of this update? I am going to count it, darn it. Well - last week Sunday was the season finale of Mad Men, and while I probably sound like a gigantic goon I want everyone to know that it. was. awesome. AWESOME. This show, it is so smart and so well written and I just adore it. It is set in the early 1960s, and the sets and wardrobe are just spot-on as well. I highly recommend it if you don't already watch it! So yeah, that was our Sunday night. With a nice cheese and meat tray, and some of Scott's home brew. Ah, lovely. Maybe our Sunday meal will become a regular thing on the blog...





Friday of this week saw the official kick off to basketball season in this town. WOOHOO! Peter was ready with his Mario shirt and his beloved Jayhawk. A new toy favorite, and it plays the KU Fight Song when pressed; we bought it for him months before he was born. When I was pregnant, we used to press the button to play the fight song for the baby, smooshing it against my stomach. I like to think that it sunk into his unconscious a wee bit :)





Um, and it goes without saying that we squashed the opposing team. KU is #1 in all (and I mean every single one) of the polls. And for a reason, we have a stellar team this year. It is going to be a fun season, my friends.



The weekend, now that was busy. We had another weekend to ourselves, which meant frantically trying to winterize the house as well as take care of a million other chores. We have had a super-mild fall so far, temps in the 70s or at the lowest, in the mid-60s. Sunny or cloudy, doesn't matter. And then on Friday a cold front came in, and our highs were much cooler (think high 40s/low 50s) with rain on Sunday, like ick. With the rain part anyway (obviously, with the Wisconsin genes, the cold is not some terrible threat to me).






Anyhoo.



Saturday Scott and I both got out in the yard. Scott got a lot of raking and one-last-mowing done, and cleaned up brush piles and such and stored things away for the winter. I got all my container gardens emptied, cleaned, and stored for the winter as well. Peter, meanwhile, happily played in the exersaucer (that I had smartly dragged out onto the back deck). That is, until he spotted his rocking horse, and then he would moan and look at it pitifully, and then at me, and then back at the horse, until I finally gave in and moved him to the rocking horse.









At which point, he was all smiles again and happily singing to himself (well, as much as a 5-month-old sings, which is just random babbling/squawking in a sing-song voice). Man, it does not make much to make the little dude happy. Thankfully.






That afternoon we both worked inside the house, cleaning and pulling Christmas stuff out of the attic (don't ask), packing up things to add to the attic pile. Including the dismantling of the baby swing. Now, that old girl was put out to pasture a few months ago (one day, Peter went from pure love and I-can't-sleep-any-other-way to OH-MY-GOD-GET-ME-OUT-OF-THIS-THING-I'M-BURNNNNNING! about it), yet we are just now getting up to getting it out of his room.



Also there was grocery shopping, deep-cleaning of closets and cabinets, and all your everyday baby stuff in-between, feedings and playing and bath and bedtime... Let's just say that I pretty much fell into bed last night. It was a busy, tiring, but satisfying day. We got tons done.



Sunday the baby was up at 5:30am, so we were all up at 5:30am... Busy again - Scott brewed a beer and also bottled a beer. That took up most of the day. I did laundry, picked up, went through the attic, and did some shopping - got 3 Christmas presents, a birthday present, and some things for Peter from Santa. Oh, man, but I think the boy will be spoiled this year. Just a hunch.






And really, truly, I haven't done a decent update on the boy. I need to do that, probably will be a separate post. He's growing so much, and so quickly! It is amazing to me that I seriously, honestly just had this kid and already he's almost 6 months old. He eats with gusto! He plays, he gives this impish grin before he does something silly, he has an emotional attachment to a spoon... It is just so much, so soon. Next thing you know he'll be walking and talking and doing all sorts of grown-up things. Man.






So, signing off for the week. Will give you a baby update soonish, and then probably on to next week (when we travel to Pittsburg). Toodles.


No comments: