24 December 2009

Things I Love Thursday: Cookies

I think Christmas Eve is appropriate to highlight Holiday Baking, weeeee! Merry Christmas everyone, have a safe and happy holidays. See you when we return.


Let the cookie parade begin...






Ambrosia Macaroons - I made these for the first time last year but I truly think they are going to be on regular rotation. They are easy, pretty, and I love the flavors: like eating a Mounds bar with a hint of orange. YUM.



Buttery Jam Cookies - also something I made for the first time last year, these pretty little things come from Dorie’s Bible. They don’t sound especially delicious when reading the recipe, and there isn’t a picture in the cookbook to go with the recipe, so they can be easily overlooked. But oh! I love them so much. They are slightly sticky/crisp on the outside and soft in the center, and the hint of ginger works so well with the jam.




Molasses - my all-time favorite, hands down. I like the recipe I have because they are spicy and crispy but also chewy. I roll mine in turbano sugar for some extra crunch.






Chocolate Mint Brownie - these are like poofy, soft Girl Scout Thin Mints. Only much easier on the pocketbook.






Peanut Butter “Blossoms” - who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate, right? This is my mommy’s recipe and they are the best. Using Hershey’s bars instead of Hershey’s kisses is a brilliant move on her part, in my estimation: much better cookie-to-chocolate ratio when you eat them :)





Spritz - another favorite from home, although I can’t link our family recipe. Because it hasn’t ever been posted. I’m not hiding it from anyone, however: instead I have lost the magic art of making these. When I was a kid and helped my mom and sisters, I could do it with my eyes closed. But these days my dough is always too firm, won’t go through my cookie press. I’ve tried them a million times and always give up in frustration. Some year, I’ll get it right. My mom uses almond extract in hers, by the way, which gives them the flavor I love.



No comments: