28 January 2010

Things I Love Thursday

A few things I adore at the moment...





Magic Bullet
We have all seen the ads. We are all slightly scared of the random smoking lady in the bathrobe (because seriously, who thinks that sort of visual image sells product??). But more importantly, we all sit back and watch them whip up goodies with that darn thing, and we ask ourselves - really? Could it be that useful and great… really? Well: in my opinion, yes. We bought it to whiz up smooth purees for Peter (we have a nice food mill but it made food a bit too chunky for our his palate). It is nice and compact so we just leave it on the counter to use on demand. It has been a lifesaver for making baby food. What I didn’t expect was to use it for a myriad of other things: to quickly make a dressing or marinade, to mince onion and garlic, or to blend a chunky marinara. I also use it to make fresh bread crumbs and pesto. Fab! Who knew!



Talk about product love. The first time I laid hands on this is when it was given to me at one of my bridal showers, just a little something slipped inside a gift. I have been addicted ever since. I don’t have the prettiest of nails: genetics blessed me with shallow nail beds, and cuticles/nails that constantly peel and split in the winter. This cuticle cream works a miracle: it can’t do anything for those shallow nail beds (obviously) but I no longer have the peeling and cracking problem in the winter. I apply it every night before I go to sleep. And the lemony scent is divine: this is the only lemon-scented product I have ever encountered that actually smells like real lemons, delicious (as opposed to that lemon Pledge smell that you find in everything else). And I dig the packaging - not housed in some hard plastic jar with a twisty lid, or soft plastic squeezy thing, instead - it’s a darling little tin jar with a pry-off lid. Something about that feels a little more charming and girly.





Neil Patrick Harris' tweets

Twitter = platform to express yourself. Each time a person uses Twitter, it is called a “tweet”. If you don’t know what it is, I like to describe it to people as a “140-character blog post”. A quick snippet of what you are doing/thinking/saying/whatever. You can easily tweet from your phone or crackberry or whatever, like sending a text message on a "regular" cell phone, so a lot of people do it. And you can follow them, just like blogs, which is the only reason I have a Twitter account!

A lot of daily Twitter “tweets” are boring (sorry). I do follow a few, however, and one person I follow is Neil Patrick Harris. The guy is charming and quick-witted (shocker, I know). This is his first tweet, and I have been hooked ever since. I think his tweet during the Golden Globes, when he found himself next to Mickey Rourke, is my favorite to date…





My friend Jules shared this recipe with me and I loooooove it. It is so yummy and dead easy to pull together: bring your liquids to a boil, pour over the other ingredients in a casserole dish, and pop it in the oven to bake. The result is a creamy, lovely dish that is reminiscent of a nice lemony risotto. Serve with a green salad and a nice mineral-y white wine, and presto! A lovely dinner on the table with minimal effort!
I am a sucker for a gorgeous candle holder, and these are right up there in the LOVE category. The owner started her GlassyBaby line of hand-blown votives to help with the battle to cure cancer (she is a cancer survivor herself, and proceeds go to cancer research organizations). Each looks like a tiny work of art, the glass illuminating candle light so softly and the colors are just amazing. I want approximately 34 of these suckers for around my home. Approximately.

No comments: